The Lady Lever Art Gallery is a museum founded and built by William Lever, opened in 1922. The Lady Lever Art Gallery is located in the garden village of Port Sunlight, on the Wirral and one the National Museums Liverpool.It was dedicated to his wife Elizabeth, Lady Lever. William Lever wanted to share his collections with the public and the works on display at the gallery have been personally selected.

The museum is a special surviving example of late Victorian and Edwardian taste. It houses great collections of fine and decorative art that are an expression of Lord Leverhulme’s personal taste and collecting interests. The collection is strong in British 19th-century painting and sculpture, spilling over to contain late 18th-century and early 20th works. There are important collections of English furniture, Wedgwood, particularly jasperware, and Chinese ceramics, and smaller groups of other types of objects, such as Ancient Greek vases and Roman sculpture. The museum shows mostly mixed paintings, sculpture and furniture together, and there are 5 “Period Rooms” recreating typical period interiors from large houses.

       Room 19, Classical and 18th  century sculpture, Greek pottery

In the gallery, visitors will find the best of Lever’s personal art collection and the finest collection of Wedgwood jasperware anywhere in the world. The Pre-Raphaelite painting collection is internationally renowned and features works by Millais, Rossetti, Holman Hunt and Burne-Jones.

     

 Edward Burne-Jones, The Beguiling  of Merlin (1874)

For younger visitors, the activity rooms are interactive space where they can get hands-on and have fun with crafts, dressing up and story telling. Lady Lever commonly houses temporary exhibitions and popular free events.

Some of the Gallery of works of art in the collection are below:

 Emperor Hadrian anonymous (18th Century)

A Music Party Arthur Hughes (1864) 

Loading

0Shares

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *