The chapter clarified that the entrance fee to the cathedral should not be collected from visitors and sought to make the building more accessible to a wide variety of worshipers, including visitors and tourists, as well as the dioceses of Liverpool and others.
The centenary of the cathedral was celebrated in 2004, and the first two phases of the new visitor center began in December 2006 and early 2007. The final phase of the renovation of the current restaurant area was completed in early 2008.
Today’s cathedral is crucial to the city’s spiritual and religious life and is one of the tourist attractions in the Northwest. In 2009, in the face of stiff competition, Liverpool Cathedral won the ‘Best Great Visitor Attraction’ award at the North West’s Annual Tourism Awards organized by The Mercy Partnership.
80s and 90s “City of World Significance”
Under the leadership of Derrick Walters, the fourth dean of Liverpool, the area in front of the cathedral was transformed from an urban development to a larger cathedral, and in 1991 the Queen officially launched the ‘Queen’s Walk’. , The hard-landscape area that serves as the main entrance to the then main entrance to the building on the river bank.
1978 – “One of the best buildings in the world”
On October 25, 1978, in the presence of Queen Elizabeth II, there was a large Thanksgiving service to commemorate the completion of the cathedral, which was a “successful proclamation of hope”.
1961 – Nave Bridge
On April 22, 1961, the newly completed bridge was handed over to the Navy’s First Dean & Chapter. Sadly, with his death in 1960, the architect did not live long enough to enjoy new views through his cathedral.
1942 – Tower completed “All cathedrals must be displayed with tower and spire”
On February 20, 1942, Sir Giles Scott placed the last ‘stone’ on the tower, three hundred and thirty-one feet (101 m) above the cathedral floor.
1941 – “Keep up the good work”
The first service, which took place in a spacious central area under the still unfinished tower, was called the ‘Intense Entrance to the Wartime’. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Queen’s Cathedral and promoted the construction of buildings for the cathedral community.
1931 – Dean and Chapter Base “Great Revival Church in Modern Cathedrals”
In October 1931, Frederick William Dwight was appointed Liverpool’s first dean. He held the post until his retirement in 1955.
1924 – Dedication of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool
The cathedral was dedicated in the presence of King George V and Queen Mary, despite serious delays due to World War I, the High Altar, the Chancellor and the Eastern Transcendentalists. In 1923, David Frederick William Dwell, the first future dean of Liverpool, succeeded Bishop Chavez after Albert Augustus.
1910 – Lady Chapel is completed
On St. Peter’s Day, June 29, 1910, the first part of the cathedral was dedicated by the Ladies Chapel, Bishop Chavez and the Archdiocese of York Cosmo Long.
1904 – Foundation stone laid
On Tuesday, July 19, 1904, King Edward VII laid the foundation stone for a large public service, at which end the choir of a thousand voices sang the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s Messiah.
1903 – “Best Idea and Best Feeling”
Twenty-two-year-old Giles Gilbert Scott submitted the design and hired young Scott and most of the senior George Bodley as joint architects.
1901 – “Say something for God”
At a meeting in the town hall on Monday, June 17, 1901, it was decided to build a cathedral for the prosperous Liverpool.
1880 – “Dirty and Terrible”
John Charles Riley was appointed First Bishop of Liverpool. A pro cathedral was built at St. Peter’s Church on Church Street in the town center, later described by the Rector of Liverpool as “ugly and horrible”.